Tuesday, October 03, 2006

iTunes Video & MythTV

Google's video site lets you download videos in mpeg4, which is playable on your iPod. I keep my iTunes library on my linux file server, which is the same box that MythTV uses for its storage. So, since the videos I download from Google Video are on the same box that MythTV accesses, of course it was only a matter of time before I got around to setting it up so MythTV had access to these videos through the Video player.

I was hoping all that was necessary to get this working was to create a symbolic link from my iTunes Movie directory to somewhere inside the MythTV video directory. This did make them accessible, but the problem was that my mplayer didn't seem to play these mpeg4 videos. The audio would come across correctly, but I'd get a still image for the video.

I tinkered a little bit and found that although my current mplayer command didn't seem to do the trick, VLC had no problem.

In my next post, I'll explain my VLC setup.

No comments: