Sunday, February 24, 2008

Starting 'irexec' on reboot

Every time I reboot my MythTV frontend/backend box, I'm annoyed that I have to sit in front of my tv with the keyboard to open up an xterm window and run 'irexec' so that the "wife button" works to stop/start MythTV Frontend when it's misbehaving.

I tried setting 'irexec' as a start script in Gnome, but that never worked. I found the answer to be embarrassingly simple... Wrap the command in your own bash script, then set that script as a startup script.

So in /home/mythtv/bin/start_irexec.sh :
#######

#!/bin/bash
irexec

#######

That's it! I set that command as a startup command in Gnome, and now I can unplug the keyboard, and reboot anytime I need.

2 comments:

indulis said...

all you need to do is give it a full pathname and start irexec as a background process (daemon). Command line to use in System-Starup Applications is
/usr/bin/irexec -d

Easy!

Blake said...

Yeah, that sounds like the best way to go :)